Moses Was Born and Is Called – Exodus 1 - 4
In this passage, God assures His listeners that He is the God who sees the misery of His people and who is concerned about them; He is the All-Knowing, All-Powerful God, who weaves together a story of grace and salvation at just the right time and who promises His presence when His people are most afraid and feel the most inadequate. He uses, not superstars to do His work, but the washed up has-beens, the ones who have messed up their lives and wasted their potential; the ones who have severe deficits, who are “slow of speech.” And when finally His people submit to His plans and do His bidding, the result is worship!
1. REVIEW THE STORY
- • Activity – Burning Bush - by gluing red, yellow, and orange tissue paper to a piece of paper, let kids create a burning bush scene. As they work, discuss questions below. Remind kids that God called to Moses by name from within the bush. How might God call to us? (through His Word, through the voice of family and friends, through a song, through prayer, through His Spirit)
2. DISCUSS THE STORY (some possible answers in italics)
- • What did you like about this passage?
- • What didn’t you like about this passage?
- • What do you learn about God from this passage?
- God’s timing is perfect.
- God sees the suffering of His people and is concerned about them.
- God has good plans for His people.
- God will give us the ability to do what He asks us to do.
- God can protect us in the midst of danger.
- God provides for us in ways that exceed our expectations.
- • What do you learn about people from this passage?
- People will be blessed when they do things God’s way.
- People can be evil, but God is bigger and stronger.
- People sometimes think they can’t do what God asks them to do, but God will be with them and give them the abilities they need to do His work.
- People who trust God will worship Him.
- People can take time to turn aside and listen to God.
- • What do you learn about yourself from this story?
- I need to take time to listen to God.
- I need to believe that God will equip me to do His work.